Back to search results
National Communications Manager
People helping people - that's the power of humanity
Job no: 519510
Work type: Full time
Location: Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria, Western Australia
- Join the Public Affairs and Advocacy team, flexible location
- Full time permanent role, flexible work arrangements
- Work for the world's largest humanitarian movement
Australian Red Cross is part of the world’s largest humanitarian movement. We support and empower people and communities in times of vulnerability. We act for humanity.
Our Public Affairs and Advocacy team help grow our movement through advocacy and engagement with our stakeholders; shaping the voice of Red Cross and setting the narrative and messaging communicated both internally and externally.
The team coordinate media, communications, government relations and advocacy strategy for the organisation and a number of new roles have recently been created to ensure their future success.
Reporting to the Head of Public Affairs and Advocacy and supporting the Executive Team, this is one of the most senior communications roles at Australian Red Cross. Leading a team of six, the National Communications Manager is responsible for internal, strategic and change communications.
Core to the role is developing and executing strategic and integrated communications plans to increase engagement of staff, members and volunteers as well as enhancing the Red Cross Movement through impactful storytelling. You will shape the narrative to ensure aligned, coordinated organisational messages.
In this role, you will be a trusted adviser to the Executive team and support Red Cross staff, members and volunteers across the country to communicate a diverse range of humanitarian issues. This is a national role responsible for planning and delivering organisation-wide communication programs to engage our workforce of 30,000 staff, members and volunteers.
You will have extensive experience in transformational communications in large, complex organisations. Excellent working knowledge of best practice digital communications, analytics and information management systems is essential. Success in the role will depend on your ability to influence leaders, solve problems and execute communications strategies.
What you’ll bring
- Energy, drive and extensive experience in broad ranging, senior communications roles
- Motivated, positive people leader who provides an environment for the team to thrive
- Able to thrive in a face-paced, high-pressure environment balancing multiple projects simultaneously and working to tight deadlines
- Track record of providing strategic communications advice and developing, measuring and delivering communications plans
- Experience in building, leading and motivating teams to deliver high-quality results with the ability to demonstrate initiative, flexibility and a collaborative approach in a changing environment
- Track record of implementing change communications strategies in large scale, complex organisations
- Excellent understanding of internal communications systems, platforms and analytics
- Motivated by a desire to continually improve. Use analytics and insights to continually adjust to get better outcomes
- Superior communication, copywriting, interpersonal and networking skills with an ability to deliver creative and effective strategic communications
- Confidence engaging and briefing the CEO, President and senior executives on organisational messaging
- Strategic problem solver and effective stakeholder engagement
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and set realistic goals that reflect the urgency, expediency and importance of tasks
We utilise Covid-19 safe practices
We encourage all of our employees to be vaccinated against Covid-19 and a number of states have mandated that Red Cross employees must be vaccinated to perform work for us. Please make sure that you are able to comply with these government requirements or have the appropriate medical exemption information available.
Why work for us?
Work for purpose, know that the work you do enables Red Cross to support and empower people and communities in times of vulnerability.
You can access flexible working arrangements and generous salary packaging options that can increase your take home pay by paying certain expenses using pre-tax dollars up to $15,900 a year.
For further information please see the position description below. For additional enquiries, please contact Kate Miranda on 0408 409 155
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Apply now Refer a friend