Back to search results
Peer Support Worker
People helping people - that's the power of humanity
Job no: 518912
Work type: Part time
Location: New South Wales
- Maximum term position
- Part time hours
- Blacktown, NSW location
Australian Red Cross is part of the world’s largest humanitarian organisation. Our aim is to improve the lives of the most vulnerable people in Australia and across our region.
About the role
The Peer Support Worker provides valuable mentoring support to young people involved with the youth justice system to assist them to articulate their goals, reconnect with the community and pursue positive lifestyles that minimise future risk of reoffending. Utilising a strengths based approach, the Peer Mentor will identify and leverage the participant’s skills, competencies and interests toward the achievement of agreed outcomes. This role will also assist with the delivery of health, education, wellbeing and psychological support programs and activities
What you will bring
- Well-developed communication skills, particularly in relation to negotiation, presentation and facilitation with young people
- Demonstrated problem solving, relationship building and boundary management abilities
- Experience in working with young people who are vulnerable or who have complex needs particularly in the areas of education, case management, training delivery, coaching or mentoring
- Knowledge and understanding of issues affecting young people from a diverse range of backgrounds and environments
- Knowledge and understanding of causes for reoffending amongst young people
A current Australian driver’s licence and Working with Children Check are mandatory requirements for this role.
Why work with us
Be part of one of the largest humanitarian organisations and know that the work contributes to improving outcomes for vulnerable people.
You can access flexible working arrangements and generous salary packaging options that can increase your take home pay by paying certain expenses using pre-tax dollars up to $15,900 a year.
For further information about this role, please refer to the position description attached below or contact Lona Kuchey on 0466 442 811.
Position description: Peer Support Worker.pdf
Applications for this position will close at 11:55pm on Tuesday 3rd August 2021.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Apply now Refer a friend