Back to search results
Youth Support Worker
People helping people - that's the power of humanity
Job no: 518542
Work type: Part time
Location: Northern Territory
• Permanent position
• Part time (20 hours per week)
• Tiwi Islands
About Red Cross
Australian Red Cross is part of the world's largest humanitarian movements seeking to build a better society based on people helping people. We strongly believe that how we work is as important as what we do. We put humanity in action.
About the role
Provide support and mentoring to young people at Wurrumiyanga community on the Tiwi Islands, and facilitate relevant program activities after school. Program activities are to be delivered in combination with the Tiwi Islands Regional Council, Catholic Care and other relevant service providers. Program activities are also to be delivered at the Murrupurtiyanuwu Catholic Primary School, Xavier Catholic College and at other venues as planned. The youth program aims to increase life skills, provide recreation and creative activities, encourage learning and school attendance, build cultural connection, reduce violence and antisocial behaviour and deliver drug and alcohol awareness prevention to students in both schools.
What you will bring
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience working with young people from diverse backgrounds, including those from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD), Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander backgrounds
- Proven knowledge and understanding of Tiwi people and culture and the local issues for Tiwi Aboriginal families and at risk youth
- Strong verbal and written communications skills including respectful and effective communication with young people
- Demonstrated experience in networking and negotiating skills
- Proven planning, organisational and time management skills
- Proven ability to collect feedback about the program from teachers, parents and youth and to deliver this to the program team leader and Regional Manager, Tiwi
- Ability to keep data and feed information into reports or write simple reports
- Basic proficiency in MS Office or similar software
- An Ochre card is a mandatory requirement for the role
Why work with us
Work for purpose, know that the work you do contributes to Red Cross supporting and empowering people and communities in times of vulnerability.
You can access flexible working arrangements and generous salary packaging options that can increase your take home pay by paying certain expenses using pre-tax dollars up to $15,900 a year.
For further information about this role, please refer to the position description attached below or contact Kevin Doolan on 0447 176 323
Youth Support Worker PD.pdf
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply
Advertised: AUS Central Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Central Standard Time
Apply now Refer a friend